Here are six tips I always share with my clients that can help you drive your home sale to success.
1. Price it right. You don’t want to overprice your home, because you won’t attract enough buyers to actually show up and look at the property. Most buyers have search ranges, and if your home is over their range, they won’t even take a look at it. It will also hurt you in the long run because if you price the home too high initially and you have to keep reducing that price while the home sits on the market, buyers will be suspicious of it and wonder what’s wrong with it.
2. Understand buyer preferences. If your house has multi-colored bedrooms with many different types of furniture, that might not be very popular among the buyers of today. You might be better off switching things to a more neutral color. Your agent can certainly help you with this kind of thing.
3. Stage and declutter. Make sure someone walking into your home can envision it as their home. If you have lots of clutter and personal items lying around, that will make doing that hard for them. Don’t forget to declutter your closets too, because buyers always check those to make sure there’s enough room for their stuff.
4. Repair any pet damage.Oftentimes, dogs and cats can leave scratch marks around doors and door frames, so make sure that kind of thing is repaired. You also want to check for smells. It’s hard to notice your own house’s pet odor, but buyers will definitely notice if a house has a dog or cat smell. That being said, don’t overpower the house with potpourri, because that can give off the wrong impression as well.
5. Enhance the home’s curb appeal.This can be tougher in wintertime, but you want to make sure anyone approaching your house sees a clean driveway and walkway and a sharp exterior. In springtime, it’s a good idea to plant some flowers.
6. Focus on marketing. Roughly 99% of all buyers today look online when searching for a home, which means the first thing they see are photos. You want to make sure those photos pop and impress them enough to want to see your property in person.
If you have any more questions about how to drive your home sale or you’re thinking about buying or selling a home soon, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d be happy to help you.