Are you a first-time homebuyer? If so, here are five important tips you should know before you start your search.
1. Find a great agent. As a buyer, there is no cost for you to hire an agent, so you definitely want to hire somebody who knows what they are doing. Hire someone who will listen to what’s important to you, is a great negotiator, and will establish a long-term plan to help you find a home.
2. Find a great lender. There are many different loan products out there. Don’t just pick the lender that offers the cheapest and lowest rate. Hire someone who will help you understand different loan products and guide you along the way. There are many different loan products, such as FHA loans, conventional loans, VA loans, and USDA loans. Your lender should explain what each of those is and figure out which is the right product for you. Your lender will also help you understand what your out-of-pocket costs will be, what your closing costs would be, and what your monthly costs will be once you’ve moved into the property.
3. Start shopping. This is the fun part. I have my buyers come in for a consultation to talk about which neighborhood they are interested in, which schools they are looking at, and what the commute should be like. That way, I’ll get an understanding of what my clients want and need in a home.
4. Get to know the neighborhood. I give my buyers homework. I tell them to go and drive around the neighborhood at different times of day and night. Visit the schools, parks, and shops to make sure that you are comfortable in the area that you choose.
5. Make the offer. Make sure you have a great agent because that agent will help you with pricing so that you don’t overpay for your home. Your agent should be a great negotiator so that they can get you a great deal.
I hope you found these tips helpful. If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling a home, just give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!